The Celebration continues


For my birthday I received some really nice gifts from my co workers. Nicole treated me to a nice pedicure and we went out to dinner. Chris a fellow baker got me the Martha Stewart Cookie book, which was on my wish list! My work got me a gift card to Jo-Anns crafts! I also got a gift card for the movie! As a thank you to Chris, over the weekend I made a cookie from the cookie book, Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies! Yum, I think they turned out pretty yummy. It felt nice to bake because I have not baked in a few weeks. This receipe was easy to follow and what shocked me was there are no eggs in this batter. This is the first time I have baked cookies that do not call for eggs. They turned out really yummy, give it a try! Here is the receipe:

Adapted from the book mentioned above:
11/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 freshly grated nutmeg
1 tablespoon unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder
1 stick of butter
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons of boiling water
7 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 granulated sugar

In a bowl sift flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves nutmeg and cocoa.
In a bowl of a electric mixer with paddle attachment beat butter and fresh ginger four about 4 minutes. Add b.sugar until combined. Add molasses beat until combined.

In a small bowl, dissolve baking soda in the boiling water. Beat half of flour mixture into butter mixture. Beat in baking soda mixture, add remaining flour mixture. Mix in chocolate. Place onto plastic wrap, into a 1 inch disc. Refrigerate until firm, 2 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 325, roll dough into balls and roll in sugar. Place on cookie with parchment paper in freezer for 20 minutes. Bake for 10-12 minutes, rotate half way through. Bake until cookie tops crack. Let cool for 5 minutes then transfer to wire rack.

The recipe calls for balls to be 1 1/2 inches around, but I made mine smaller. I did not use cloves in this because I did not have any! Also, I used light brown sugar instead of dark. These cookies turned out fabulous!

No comments: