Carrot Cake



Link





To get a smile on my face my mom and I spent the day together yesterday. We just did odd and ends during the day and had lunch. After lunch we were in Palo Alto near my favorite cupcake store, "Kara's Cupcakes". The original store is in San Francisco but has expanded! We decided we had to have a cupcake! It made me feel better for the day! Today, after a long career transition workshop I felt I needed to let go of some stress so I made some muffins. The recipe I tried was from Ellie Krieger's book "The Food you Crave".

Here is my variation of Ellie's Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Lemony Cream Cheese Frosting

3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
1/4 cups walnuts
1/4 cups of raisins
3 tablespoons of flax seeds

Preheat oven 350 and line muffin cups with liners
In medium bowl, sift flours, baking soda, salt and spices
In large bowl whisk oil,b. sugar, and eggs until mixed together
Whisk in applesauce, vanilla and carrots
Add dry ingredients to wet and stir in walnuts, raisins and flax seeds
Divide batter between muffin cups, bake until toothpick comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
At this point you would start making frosting...
I did not put frosting because I wanted to use this as more of a breakfast item.

No comments: