Brownie Points!


The other night after dinner both John and I were needing something sweet. Of course there was nothing in the pantry so I decided to make home made brownies. These brownies were fudgey, moist and supposedly lower in fat. I used a recipe from Alice Medrich's book, "Cookies and Brownies"
I highly recommend this book. I have used it so many times that the pages are falling out! Here is the receipe:

3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

41/2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa (non alkalized)
3/4 cup granulated sugar ( used just under 3/4, I ran out of sugar!!)
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 large egg
2 large egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I added because I love walnuts in brownies)

8 inch square pan , lined across the bottom and 2 opposite sides with parchment paper

Preheat oven to 350, position a rack in the lower third of the oven
In a small bowl, mix the first three ingredients and set aside
In a medium saucepan , heat butter until melted, remove from heat and add cocoa
Stir in sugars, add egg, egg whites and vanilla. Stir about 40 strokes, until smooth. Add flour mixture, stir until incorporated.
Put batter into pan and bake 15-18 minutes. The brownies will be done when toothpick is inserted and center comes out with a little batter, thickened and gooey.
Cool on rack
Lift brownies out of pan with parchment paper and cut in 16 squares.

I actually was able to get more than 16 squares, because I like the brownies really small.

ENJOY!

No comments: