Melt in your mouth...not in your hand!



Last night I was looking through Elinor Klivans book called, "The Essential Chocolate Chip Cookbook and I was drawn to the recipe for Chocolate Chip Filled Melting Moment Cookies. I was drawn because of the ingredients, I wanted to see how the batter would end up. I have only used cornstarch when cooking Chinese food it usually helps thicken a sauce or helps homemade marshmallows not stick to one another. So, using 3/4 cups of cornstarch in a recipe really made me want to try!
As you can see, the cookies did not have much color. The filling was a butter cream frosting with chocolate. I have to admit, they turned out pretty yummy! Easy to make and kind of fun, making the hash pattern on the cookie! I think these would be good with cinnamon, or hazelnut.
Here is the recipe that I used:

Cookies:
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup cake flour
3/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter at room temp
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla ( I used 1.5 teaspoons of vanilla, I LOVE vanilla)

Filling:
1/4 cup unsalted butter room temp
1/4 powered sugar
1/4 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips ( I used regular sized chips and chopped up)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees
Line two baking sheets with parchment paper

Sift flours, cornstarch, baking powder, salt and set aside

In a large bowl, beat butter, and powered sugar until smooth about 1 minute.
Scape sides down and add vanilla mix until blended.
On low speed add flour mixture until just blended.

Roll a level tablespoon of dough between your palms to form a ball. Place cookie on baking sheet and space two inches apart. Using a fork flatten cookie to leave impression on the cookie.

Bake for 30 minutes until bottoms of cookies are light brown. Cool for 10 minutes on baking sheet and transfer to wire cooling sheet.

Make the filling:
Mix butter, sugar and chocolate together with wooden spoon and spread about a teaspoon or more on the bottom of one cookie and put another cookie in the filling to form a sandwich.

ENJOY!

No comments: