Nosy neighbors are a good thing!



I live in a condo complex with many neighbors around me. My immediate neighbors are very nice. In my building I have three older ladies who are all very nice and friendly to my husband and I. We all look out for one another. To give them thanks at the end of the year I usually make them cookies. This year I decided to give them Russian Tea Cookies and Rocky Road candy. I think they will all enjoy it! Here is the recipe for the Russian Tea Cookies. I used a recipe from Alice Medrich's Cookies and Brownies Book. 

1 1/2 cups of nuts (I used walnuts)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
16 tablespoons of butter, softened and in small chunks
2 teaspoons of vanilla
1 large egg yolk (optional)
1/2 cup powdered  sugar
Pulse nuts in food processor. Half should be finely chopped, tranfer into a bowl and set aside. 
Wipe bowl of food processor of excess oil and add granulated sugar and mix until fine powder. Add flour and salt until blended together. Add butter, vanilla. Process until the mixture looks damp and clumps together. Add nuts until combined. Transfer mixture into bowl, cover and refrigerate the dough for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight. 

Preheat oven to 325. Scoop dough into 1 inch balls 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. Bake fro 22-24 minutes. 
When cookies are cooled, sieve powered sugar over top of cookies. ENJOY! 

**I used 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1 cup all purpose flour
** I did not add egg yolk

I have to note that I have had this book for so many years that the pages are starting to fall out. My mom and I have used this book over and over, notes on pages and cookie dough spills in the pages. This is an excellent book! 

No comments: